I might like to mention that I was the one getting pelted, not the one doing the pelting! Just pointing that out, but it was all in good fun.
So what kind of a conversation might lead to someone getting pelted with a Mike & Ike you may ask... A conversation that deals with babies.
Are you scratching your head yet? Ok let me paint you a picture...
My parents are of the frame of mind that if I want a kid, when I'm ready, I'll have one. Now other people (lots of other people) seem to think that just after I was married was the time to start asking when was the baby coming. But I'm not sure I'm ready. I've never felt my biological clock ticking. Ok so truthfully in one sense, seems all my friends that are my age already have kids, but otherwise, my biological clock isn't ticking.
I know they say that the older you get, the more chances you have for different things to be wrong with a baby... but still, why have a kid if you aren't ready? I'll be 30 this year and yes, this is freaking me out for a lot of reasons... but even though I will be 30, I don't feel 30. Truthfully, I feel about 16-18, you know except when I get up out of bed in the morning and have aches and pains I didn't have at 16-18 years old.
So Friday night somehow the conversation came up about babies. They haven't ever asked me about having kids but when it got brought up they were asking for my top reasons I was scared to have a kid. I started throwing them all out there. Yes, some of them are more funny than anything, but still... they are valid points.
Examples but not limited to:Oh and one of my biggest fears is not being able to have a kid. That bugs the crap out of me, especially because someone else had a kid with my husband...
And there are so many more because this went on for a little while.
- I don't want to have aneurysm
- The whole peeing when you laugh thing... yuck
- Lose quality alone time with my sweetheart
- I want to be able to see my feet
- I want to paint my toenails
- Shave my legs
- I don't want my kid embarrassed by me
- I'm broke
- I'll have no life
- I won't be able to show horses
- I can't afford new clothes - all mine currently fit
- With some women, once a kid comes into their life, the husband just gets totally ignored
- I can't drink
- I can't get my hair cut - although that was supposed to be dyed.
- I don't like mom jeans
- I don't want my kid back talking me
- I don't want my kid hating me
- I don't want my kid to think I'm weird
- I don't want to bring a kid into a family that has a split family effect (remember I have a step-daughter. I don't want either kid feeling left out)
- I don't want my kid asking me if she/he has another mom because Tbug has a different mom
- I don't want my husband to leave me
- I don't want to be replaced
- If I have a boy, I don't want him peeing in my coffee
- I won't be able to drink coffee for 9 months
So we started out at dinner and eventually headed to our friend's house. We started playing rummy and we were 3-4 hands in, I was still having to come up with reasons and the next thing I knew something pelted me in the head.
|Part of the red is still due to the mean ol' camera.|
Turns out, they threw a Mike & Ike at me, it was green, because I wouldn't answer some question I was asked. I think getting hit in the head made me forget the question because I couldn't tell you now what she asked me. Eventually I was told what the correct answer was because I got threatened to be hit with another one. (just so you know, I was laughing my butt off at the fact they were throwing things at me.)
Hours later and a new bruise (j/k) to go with last week's camera bruise, I'm still not convinced to have a kid... yet. They weren't really trying to convince me to have a kid but rather ease my fears.
And I really don't drink that often, but I threw it out there, so we shook that if I got pregnant, I wouldn't be the only sober person for 9 months... lol.
So I must ask, do you deal with any of my concerns? Are you ready to pelt me with a green Mike & Ike? Or any other color really? Any thoughts to share or words of wisdom?